Thursday, January 29, 2009

FranzDiego.com EP











Girl you're looking lovely, girl you're looking kinda fine

Girl you're kinda special, I think about you all the time

But you got me trippin, you got me so...so...trippin

Girl you got me trippin, you got me so...so...trippin


The recently released FranzDiego.com EP has been draining the battery on my Ipod non-stop. There's much to love about it. First and foremost in the midst of our economic uncertainty it comes to you at the affordable price of "Download for Free". Secondly, while only 7-tracks in length, this EP is as diverse in subject matter as FranzDiego-Punto-Com's background.

The south Minneapolis rapper with Guatemalan roots and one-third of Illuminous 3 is a standout on multiple levels. His talents reach beyond the microphone, the embodiment of the Hip-Hop Renaissance man. Mr. Punto Com is a blogger, local organizer, artist, dables in producing and add podcaster to the list as well.

Getting back to the EP, there are a couple stand-out tracks in my own personal opinion. "Trippin" (chorus above) is an ode the beautiful intelligent women who unknowingly provoke us to make some not so intelligent decisions. For all of y'all who've ever decided to skip out on an important meeting or take a day off work to be with someone, this song is for you.

My other personal favorite is "Old Man" a pushback by FranzDiego to the status quo trying to define his identity and those of others. Its a challenge to push ourselves beyond stereotypes and falsely constructed images that serve to undercut achievement within our communities.

There's more to be said about this EP but I'll just let the music do the talking. To download the FranzDiego.com EP click here

No comments: